Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Monday, May 5, 2008

Taking Naps

Yesterday, after waking Muddear up for a late breakfast and medication, I allowed Muddear to go back to sleep. I was behind on studying, so I took advantage of the unexpected free time.

I am embarrassed to say that before I knew it, it was 3:45 p.m. and Muddear was still in bed. Muddear must have thought the same thing, because she began calling me about lunch. I am such a slacker! Nevertheless, I rustled Muddear up to get dressed for the day and prepared lunch. Things were going fine - that is until about 6:00 p.m. when Muddear decided that she needed to lay down and take a nap.

You may not think that taking a nap is a big deal - that is unless you have been awakened three nights in a row by a hysterical 96 year old woman whose days and nights are confused. There was no way in the world that I was going to allow Muddear to go to take a nap at 6:00 p.m. and run the risk of her not sleeping during the night. (AGAIN!) Yes, the story goes downhill from here.

My initial attempts at cajoling Muddear into staying awake and out of the bed did not work. Having no recollection that she had only been awake for 2 hours, Muddear was determined to get back in the bed. So to Muddear's chagrin, I sat in the bed with her. There was no way I would make this easy. Obviously she was pissed! This continued for about 10 minutes with no success for either of us. We were at an impasse. That is until I decided that enough is enough! I graciously hoisted Muddear up, placing her back in the wheelchair. She initially fussed and argued and pushed, but things quieted down once she was sitting in her chair.

It was smooth sailing from that moment on. Muddear and I talked and watched television for the next couple of hours. Go figure.

No comments: