Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Friday, September 14, 2007

Overwhelmed

I am really tired. Muddear has been up to her usual antics, but I just have not had the energy to post. There is a lot going on in my life right now - I am feeling pulled in many different directions by work demands, family demands (parents and siblings), and family demands (husband and kids).

Last week I received a phone call from the nursing home where my uncle Phil lives. At 59, he is Muddear's oldest living son, his brother Walter is 57. Many years ago, Philip experienced a stroke that left him mentally and physically disabled. Over the years, he has developed schizophrenia as well. He has resided at Glencare Center for the past 25 to 30 years and since my Grandpa James's death, Muddear has been Phillips sole caregiver. I think you can see where this is going...

The nursing home contacts me when there is something wrong with Phil, however, as he continues to advance in years Philip is in need of a legal guardian. The nursing home has asked if I can step in and take on this responsibility, to wit I have said yes. There is no one left to care for him and the thought of pushing him off on someone else makes me cringe.

I am feeling a "little" overwhelmed.

No comments: