Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Pamela's Venting Session

After work last Friday, May 25, Pamela visited Flossie at Brookwood (see Support Systems and Another Respite Stay ). I found her account of the visit quite humorous. I have summarized it below:

According to Pamela...

"I was actually a little nervous when I went to see your grandmother, because for the life of me, I could not remember her actual name! I always say 'your grandmother' or 'Muddear' and all I kept thinking was 'they are not going to let me in to see her.' However, at the last minute, I had a moment of clarity and blurted out...'I'm here to see Flossie Dawson.'

Now first, let me put your mind at ease. Your grandmother was clean and had on a fresh change of clothes. I know you were worried about that, but she looked good. When I entered her room, Muddear was looking out the window - I mentioned the nice view to her. But then, I don't know what happened.

I began to tell Muddear all about my woes with Sofa Express. I told her about how I ordered the new entertainment center and their failure to deliver it as expected. I went on to tell her about how I had received three different entertainment centers all with various degrees of damage. I even explained how I had called numerous employees from the sales rep to the district manager with no real satisfaction or adequate compensation and that I just did not know what I was going to do next. Would you believe I even told her that I notified John Matarese from the news. And there sat your grandmother, listening attentively, shaking her head like she understood and before you know it, she was offering me advice.

Muddear said, "Honey, you got to do what you got to do! I remember when I was married to my husband and he had bad credit. I took over the money and did what I had to do!"

Nikki, you know me, I was shaking my head and agreeing and I heard myself saying 'that's right Muddear; you've got to do what you've got to do!' In that moment I sat back and chuckled as I thought to myself...'why am I venting to Muddear? She won't remember tomorrow."

Although I have to admit, when I left I felt better.

No comments: