Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Saturday, December 9, 2006

Support Systems

Travelling when you are a caregiver is almost impossible unless you have a strong support system. While my support system may be small, it is awesome! It consists primarily of my husband, kids, the Passport Program administered through the Council On Aging, and Bonnie, my grandmother's absolutely amazing Case Worker. The Passport Program provides assistance like: Meals on Wheels, homemaking, and transportation services for Senior Citizens. Flossie requires 24 hour care and if it were not for the Passport Program I would not have been able to care for my grandmother at home. A Certified Nurses Assistant comes daily so that my husband and I can go to work and respite services so I can travel when necessary. Respite allows my grandmother to stay temporarily at a nursing home when I have to travel for business or for pleasure with my family or simply need a break.

During the past month, which is unusual for me, I have had to travel for work multiple times. If not for Respite Services, it couldn't be done. If you are a caregiver, contact your local Council On Aging to discover the services available for you and your loved one. Check out my "Favorite Links" for the web address.

No comments: