Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Sunday, February 4, 2007

Another Respite Stay

I travelled for work this week which meant another respite stay for Muddear. About four days prior, the fog lifted from my brain and I finally remembered the nursing home where I scheduled the respite stay - Brookwood. After what happened during the last respite stay, I was very nervous about this one, unfortunately, I didn't have a choice.

When we arrived at Brookwood, I was pleasantly surprised by the facility. Not only was it beautiful, there was very little odor, which says a lot about the nursing home. I was able to leave Muddear with a little hope. But I knew that the proof would be in the pudding...the day of pick-up which was today.

Positives:
1. Muddear had on fresh clothes.
2. It was obvious that her clothes had been changed during her stay.
3. When I checked the records, she had been bathed.
4. During the entire stay, I only received two phone calls - notification of room change closer to nurses station and confirmation of pick-up day, Muddear thought she was supposed to leave a day early.

Negatives:
1. I found an inhaler in her room - but the nurse on duty admitted that she thought she had forgotten to remove it after medication was dispensed this afternoon.
2. The skin on Muddear's lower leg didn't look good - the nurse on duty looked up the records, verified the prescription cream was used daily, however, she had not used the cream today because they were short staffed.

Key Lesson Learned - No nursing home facility will meet my expectations and take care of my grandmother like I do.

No comments: