Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Vacation and Respite

It is not common for me to be delinquent in my posting, but I have been on vacation. At least that excuse is better than "the dog ate it".

Anyway... whenever I take Muddear for a respite stay it is probably more traumatic for me than it is for her. I always worry about how being taken to a nursing home, even temporarily, makes her feel.  I hate to admit it, but this time around I wasn't the least bit worried. During the last couple of months I have been under a great deal of stress - family pressures... school... work. None of which include being a caregiver. I was desperate for vacation. 

Thus, on the morning of Friday, June 28 Mike and I hit the road for Mississippi to my sister's wedding. No responsibilities but us - not only did we leave Muddear safely at Brookwood Retirement Community, we left the kids at home as well. Did we go anywhere exotic? Nope - but we had the greatest time together. From the wedding in a scary little Mississippi town, to caving in Chattanooga, to riding rollercoasters at our local amusement park - I never realized how much I missed spending time with my husband.

Obviously, we're back and the vacation is over. I have promised myself to find more opportunities for us to spend one-on-one time together.

No comments: