Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Art of Doing Nothing


So, I am reading a new "self help" book. I'm an avid reader who usually shys away from self-help. However, with school, I have completed little to no reading for pleasure only reading for school. The solution... instead of the 300 to 400 page fiction novel I am used to, perhaps I can read a much small book. Less than 100 pages without a continuous storyline, which works well with my frequent reading interruptions.

Back to the beginning... I am reading a new "self help" book titled The Art of Doing Nothing, by Veronique Vienne. Considering, I rarely have time for personal restoration, the book seemed apropos. I have always found reading for pleasure to be therapeutic. Along with shopping and comfort food. I hope to find tips within this little book that I can utilize as well as pass on to others.

Here is an editorial review from Amazon.com:

"Much more than merely a book about nothing, this is a concentrated guide to cultivating a sense of serenity. Simple living expert Sarah Ban Breathnach calls it a "charming prescription for harried hearts and overwrought minds" that's "filled with persuasive reminders that we do too much and live too little." From its bits of well-taken wisdom ("Learn to say, 'I don't know,'"), to tranquil seaside photos, to little lessons on how to meditate, procrastinate, even turn a bath or wine tasting into intensely spiritual experiences, The Art of Doing Nothing is bound to help even the most high-strung, PalmPilot-toting folks remember exactly how it feels to fully relax." --Erica Jorgensen

Here is a call to other caregivers - in what activities do you partake that provide restoration to you? Spiritually, emotionally, physically, and mentally...

No comments: