Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Saturday, March 29, 2008

It Keeps Going...and Going...and Going...




These last few weeks with Muddear have been extremely difficult. I try not to dwell on it, but I keep thinking, "surely it is going to get better." Please?

So much has happened that I figured I better post a few times to catch you up to where I am today and why I am contemplating throwing myself down the stairs. (Bad humor.)

To finish the drama from the previous week, last Thursday I found Muddear on the floor again! This time it was about 5:00 a.m.. I awoke to strange noises that I could not decipher in the midst of my foggy, sleepy, incoherent mind. Immediately, after jumping up in a slight panic I checked on Muddear.

The lights were on and after a quick cursory review, I find her room in a total wreck - at some point in the middle of the night Muddear transformed into Martha Stewart and began rearranging her bedroom. The transformation back must have been a dozy, as I found Muddear on the floor UNDERNEATH her shower chair. Honestly, I think she must have been sitting there for hours unable to get up. A blanket was cozily draped over Muddear's legs undoubtedly for warmth.

Once again, she was not hurt nor had she fallen. Muddear had simply decided to get out of her wheelchair and sit on the floor. I'm at a loss...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Nikki,

Thanks for taking the time out to help others understand ways to create better alternatives to users. Your story was inspiring and informative. Silver-Gerald shower chairs are meticulously engineered and designed to aid the user from sitting to standing in the shower chair with minimal movement or instruction due to the ergonomic navigation system. Also, the chair does not have any sharp edges that can be detrimental to the user. I hope that your joy of life and care for your grandmother will inspire you in more ways then one.
Take Care and Good Luck,
Ann
www.Silver-Gerald.com