Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sad News

On Sunday, I spent some time with Walter. As described by the nurses, he is very alert and attempts to communicate as best as possible (with at trachea in his throat).

While at Cardinal Hill, Walter asked that I request for the doctors to remove the trachea from his throat and thus remove him from the ventilator. He is in pain and he is tired. This was very difficult for me...I tried to dissuade him from this decision, however Walter continues to stand firm. After speaking with the nurses, his condition does not seem to be improving and I do not want him to continue to suffer.

My dad's treating physician was out of town - to return on Tuesday. Knowing what is ahead, I took Muddear for what I believe will be her last visit today. (Although she is unaware.) I am very afraid of what the consequences will mean to her...Muddear has already lost two of her four children. My heart breaks for Muddear, YET I am at peace.

My dad and I have made amends and he is ready to be freed from this earthly and deteriorated body. I will keep you posted as this situation progresses.

2 comments:

Jane Carlstrom said...

No special words, simply sending you good thoughts and energy. And as always Hugs, Jane

njm said...

Thanks Jane! I am comforted knowing that we are doing the right thing.