Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Home Sweet...Home?

All I can say is, "bless her heart!" Last week, after picking Muddear up from her respite stay I wrote post titled, "Home Sweet Home". Those sentiments lasted for about 12 hours and Grandma Dynamite was back in full force, extremely confused and ready to move in search for her family. While respite stays are greatly needed they in turn tend to be the catalyst for confusion. Simply because it is difficult for people with dementia to handle such significant changes.

Ironically, I think the most consistent topic for debate centers around "who are you?" and "where are we?" The irony, in my mind, stems from the fact that Muddear could not wait to return home. When we pulled up in the driveway she exclaimed, "Home at last!" Nevertheless, I'm sure by now you know that we have attempted as best as possible to clear up the confusion, but I must admit sometimes its bizarre having the same heated discussion over and over... and over and over... and over and over... again. Its like being in a Seinfeld episode.

One of the conversations that stand out in my mind...

"You know that place I went to? I'm not going back there for that lady again."
"Muddear when you were at Brookwood, you went for me. I had to go to a funeral, remember?"
"No, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about that other lady. I'm not going for her."
"Muddear, there is no other lady. You went there for me, so I could go to the funeral."
"Well that's what I'm saying, I'll go for you but not for her. Why did I go for her?"
"You didn't go for anyone but me. I had a funeral remember?"
"Oh, I went for you?"
"Yes, Muddear. I had to go out of town for a funeral."
"Oh, I thought I went for her. Well, I'll go for you."

(I'm shaking my head to clear up my own confusion!)

No comments: