Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Sunday, November 4, 2007

I don't NEVER!

If I told you this weekend has been a doozy (spelling?) I don't think you would believe me. Honestly nothing "special" has happened, but poor Muddear has been thoroughly confused the entire weekend.

Friday night, Muddear became angry about the amount of time required to take her breathing treatment. She declared that she was NEVER taking that treatment again! I know this is not unusual...same story different day, but it was just the beginning.

Saturday during the day, Muddear managed to drop part of her housecoat into the bedside commode. Did I mention it was full of urine? In the very eloquent words of Charlie Brown, "Aarrgghh!"

Saturday night, as usual I dispensed Muddear's 8:00 p.m. medications. Afterwards, Muddear asked if I was going to sit with her for awhile, to wit I said, "yes, at least until after I give you your 9:00 p.m. medications." Suddenly, she became suspicious of the medication. You'd think I was trying to kill her! Apparently, in Muddear's world, she does not and has never taken two doses of medication at night. So after Saturday night...Muddear declared that she was NEVER going to take two doses of medication in one night. Just getting her to take the 9:00 p.m. medications required arguing.

Sunday morning began with a bang! First, I think the daylight savings time change threw off Muddear's internal clock. She was up extra early calling me. I made breakfast as usual so that she could take her morning medication without getting sick. Well that began the first argument of the day.

"If you had of asked me first you would have known that I don't eat breakfast!"

Of course I explained that the food was to ensure that the medication did not make her stomach sick. To wit Muddear said...

"My medication don't ever make me sick. Don't ever make me breakfast again in the morning! I NEVER eat breakfast!"

The calling continued all morning. At one point Muddear called me to help her use the bathroom.

"Muddear, why are you call me to help you use the bathroom? You don't need help going to the bathroom."
"I know, I just wanted you to come in my room."
"I will later, but right now I am lying down."

Interestingly enough, about 45 minutes later, Muddear was in the hallway and began to call me again saying she needed help going to her room. Yes, I wheel her into the room, but ask...

"Muddear, why are you calling me to push you into your room?"
"I need to go to the bathroom, but I don't know where it is."
"Yes, you do. You go to the bathroom everyday by yourself. You were right next to the bathroom."
"No, I don't. I ain't NEVER gone to the bathroom by myself. That's why I don't know where it is!"

If you think that it couldn't get worse, think again. When giving Muddear her wash up, she doesn't want to remove her t-shirt.

"Muddear, how am I supposed to wash you up if I can't remove your t-shirt?"
"I don't want' to be naked, I might catch cold."
"Muddear, I have to remove your t-shirt to finish your wash up."
"No you don't. I don't NEVER take all my clothes off when its cold!"

Well, its only 5:30 p.m. Sunday evening. Can this really continue ALL day?

No comments: