Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Monday, October 8, 2007

That's It!





Saturday night, I told Muddear that on Sunday we were going out to lunch and then to visit Philip, her oldest son. As I have explained previously, Philip has been in a nursing home for over 25 years, initially due to a stroke that left him unable to care for himself.
I woke Muddear up a little earlier than normal, a fact she was not happy about, until I reminded her that we were going to see Phil. She became really excited and cooperative. By 12:30, we both had eaten breakfast, bathed, dressed, hair styled, and for Muddear medicated. My friend Julia was going to join us today - she has graciously been a granny-sitter for us in times of desperate need.

At about 1:00 p.m. the three of us were packed into the car and on the way to TGI Fridays, Muddear really enjoys their baby back ribs. I continue to marvel at the impacts of Dementia on the brains ability to function properly. Thankfully, I have a relatively good idea about what Muddear likes to eat, because it was very difficult for her to make the decision without assistance. I couldn't help but laugh when our food arrived. Muddear was overwhelmed by the food portions she simply stopped and stared. I then asked her to bless the food as we bowed our heads.

"Gracious Lord, we thank you for this food we are about to eat...."

Muddear said a few additional words that I could barely hear because she prayed at almost a whisper. I don't think I have ever heard Muddear whisper. Then as our heads are still bowed, Muddear suddenly says...

"Okay, that's it!"

I didn't hear an "Amen" or anything! I just chuckled to myself and started to eat.

No comments: