Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Homecoming

Muddear is home from her respite stay at Brookwood Retirement Community and all is well with the world except one minor thing... It appears that Muddear is hearing music playing from a radio that unfortunately no one else can hear. She currently called me into her room twice in the last 30 minutes to "turn the radio off, because she can't stand music." I cannot say, "Sure Muddear, I will turn the radio off" because she just might hear the music again. What would I say then?

I relied on honesty and simply stated that I could not hear anything. This of course, got me N-O-W-H-E-R-E! My second attempt at resolving the problem led me to say, "You must have been dreaming." I thought I was pretty clever, until Muddear stated, "No, I was never sleeping." After more questioning about the current state of the radio sitting on the nightstand, I began grasping at straws stating, "I don't know where the music is coming from, because your radio is unplugged." Muddear's response..."You are right, I certainly did not plug it up."

It is officially 35 minutes and counting since this began, with no calls to "turn the music off" within the last 10 minutes. Perhaps Muddear is asleep, I certainly should be.

No comments: