Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Friday, October 26, 2007

Catalyst For Creativity

Considering the fact that Muddear has Dementia and a host of other mental and physical ailments that require her to receive 24 hour care, I find myself sitting at home most days. There was a time when the very thought of sitting at home, yet another day, drove me bonkers. It was during these times that I began to flex my creative muscles to occupy both my time and my mind. The desire to write resurfaced with a vengeance as well as the desire to create arts and crafts. So as the story goes, I began making knit hats. Check out TABI hats at http://TABIhats.etsy.com.

I encourage caregivers to remember who they are as a person and to not just define themselves as a caregiver. Caregiving is only one part, albeit a large part, of your life. Find simple pleasures in which you can partake whether that's baking cakes and cookies, sewing, knitting, writing, or whatever else you can think of.

When my days of being a caregiver are over I believe I will be able to look back at this time with a smile of remembrance. I was able to care for my grandmother, write a book, make hats and who knows what else.

No comments: