Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Talking Crazy On Purpose?

Prior to dinner, I gave Muddear a breathing treatment and was forced to endure the usual drama. This time, however, after being told for the one hundredth time that she was not going to take another breathing treatment, I agreed. I told Muddear I was tired of arguing with her about taking a breathing treatment and the next time she was short of breath I would not administer the medicine. To which Muddear responded..."I never get short of breath so you don't have to worry about that!"

Last night, in the middle of the night Muddear started yelling for help. What is it with the night time drama? As soon as I enter Muddear's room, I can tell that she is short of breath, but to prove a point, I ask her...

"Muddear, what's wrong?"

"Shortness of the breath."

"Well, what do you want me to do?"

"Give me something to help me breathe."

"I can't give you a breathing treatment. You told me earlier today that you are not taking breathing treatments anymore, because you don't experience shortness of breath. What should I do?"

"I didn't mean that. You know how it is, you get aggravated and you just say things that you shouldn't say. I bet you do the same thing too."

I started thinking...how often does she get aggravated and start talking crazy on purpose? Of course I gave Muddear the treatment - with no arguing!

No comments: