Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Monday, October 1, 2007

Pain Medicine vs. Placebo

Muddear asks for pain medicine, multiple times throughout the day every day. It is so often that I have begun to wonder if she is really in pain or if there is an ulterior motive. Taking Tylenol, aspirin, or any other non-prescription medicine two to three times per day everyday seems excessive. Not to mention the fact that each episode begins with Muddear screaming and yelling at the top of her lungs:

"...the pain is more than I can bear!" or

"...take me now Lord, if someone can't do something to help me with the pain!" or

"....please somebody help me, don't let me suffer."

However, as soon as Muddear S-W-A-L-L-O-W-S the Tylenol, she is completely healed. No complaints, no worries, no more pain. There is no pain medicine, especially in pill form that works that fast!

In light of this, Mike and I have been trying an experiment over the last week. I bought of bottle of vitamin C caplets. For the last week, whenever Muddear asks for pain medicine, we continue the same routine by asking, "What hurts and how long has it been hurting?" After Muddear's explanation, we retrieve two vitamin C caplets and dispense the "Tylenol" to Muddear. Would believe it if I told you, it works! We have witnessed the placebo effect firsthand - A placebo effect occurs when a treatment or medication with no therapeutic value (a placebo) is administered to a person and their symptoms improve.

It is truly amazing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Readers may be interested in our new blog, which focuses entirely on the placebo effect - www.placebo.com.au

Anonymous said...

Yοur post οffers cοnfiгmed usеful to mе.
ӏt’s really еducatіonаl and you're naturally very well-informed in this region. You possess opened our face for you to varying thoughts about this specific matter with interesting and solid content.

My web site :: buy ambien

Sakira said...

Wow, thats surely awesome to know the reality and I am positive you will also love my article written here apple nutrition facts approximately Hope so that you will love to provide me a go-to.