Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Friday, September 28, 2007

Prescriptions, Doctors, and Friends

Everyone knows the routine...three times per day Muddear is given a breathing treatment. Three times a day we argue with her about the importance of completing the treatment in its entirety. Last night, Muddear stated:

"After tonight, I am not takin' that treatment anymore."

"Muddear, why don't you want to take your medicine?"

"The doctor didn't give that to me, a friend did."

"Your friend cannot write you prescriptions."

"I know, that's not a prescription. A friend told me about it. I told the doctor and he give it to me. I don't really need it."

"Muddear the doctor will only prescribe medicine for you that you actually need. After your check-up a few years ago, it was prescribed to you. I will get the container so you can see it."

I take a few minutes to get the box that contains the vials of medicine used for breathing treatments.

"See Muddear, here is the label...it has a prescription number on it, your name and the doctor's name."

"I don't care what you say! A friend gave that to me!"

"Why don't you read it for yourself?"

"NO! I am not gonna read it! I don't wanna see it! I know where it came from - it was a doctor and he is dead now!"

Okay, I give up! I had to end this conversation before I ran away screaming!

No comments: