Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Monday, July 16, 2007

Unpleasant Surprises...




I have been holding onto this post for weeks now, because I did not think anyone would believe me unless I had the pictures to prove it!

Incident #1

Prior to going on vacation in May, I had to pack Muddear a suitcase to take with her to Brookwood Retirement Community for the respite stay. After gathering together Muddear's clothes, I opened one of her drawers to pull out several pairs of socks. Can you imagine my surprise when I wrapped my hand around a hard sock? Initially I thought, "What in the world is this?" Carefully, I began to unroll the sock ball (I fold all socks into a sock ball after removing them from the dryer) and became immediately disgusted. At some point in the recent past, Muddear pretended to eat dinner by stuffing her food into a pair of socks then hiding them in the drawer. Fortunately, this surprise bundle of sock and food did not stink. Unfortunately, it was molding. Check out the pictures...

Incident #2

One night last month during dinner, I went to check on Muddear to see if she needed anything. Muddear prefers to eat in her room - sometimes we join her and sometimes we do not, it just depends on what is going on that evening. Anyway, I initially notice that Muddear's dinner plate is surprisingly clean. However, the second thing I notice is that she has a pair of socks in her hand. After Incident #1 above, I immediately knew what was going on.

"Muddear let me see what you have in your hands."
"No."
"Muddear, why won't you give me that sock? I really need to see it."
"No, it's mine!"
"Muddear, what are you doing? You never keep anything from me." I reach for the sock and Muddear finally relinquishes her hold. Guess what I found inside of the sock?
"Muddear why have you stuffed your chicken and vegetables inside this sock?"
"I was saving it for dinner for tomorrow."
"Now you know that is not how you save food."
"I do!"
"Muddear, no you do not. Please don't ever do that again. It is not safe or sanitary."
"That's what I do. I always do that."
"Muddear, don't ever do that again."
"Okay."

No comments: