Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Friday, July 13, 2007

Muddear on Cooking Chicken

"See when I first got married I got pregnant and was craving chicken. I told my grandmother and you know what she told me? 'Girl, you better go out there and get you a chicken to eat.' See, when I was younger I lived with my grandmother and she always raised chickens, so this was nothing new to me. After I talked to my grandmother, I laughed and went outside to pick me a chicken - not a big one, a fryer. Then I broke its neck, cleaned out the inside, and cooked it whole. You talk about some good chicken!"

Nikki Asked: Muddear, how did you break the chicken’s neck? (I have never seen or touched a live chicken so all of this is new to me.)
Muddear Answered: You just grab the chicken by the neck and twist it until the neck breaks. (Muddear was making a circular swinging motion with her wrist, similar to when you swing a towel.)

Mike Asked: It must have been hard removing all of the feathers. How do you remove the chicken feathers?
Muddear Answered: That was easy. You just bring a large pot of water to boil. Then put the chicken in the boiling water. The feathers just fall off.

Nikki Asked: What do you do with the head? (Muddear looked at me as if I was "special" then laughed until she could not laugh anymore.)
Muddear Answered: You cut off the head. I ain't never heard tale of someone keeping the chicken head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, an interesting oral history.

njm said...

I agree! I had no idea how chicken was prepared before the convenience of grocery stores.