Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Peaceful Sleep?

Friday night/Saturday morning was... Well words just cannot describe. Friday night Muddear became aggravated. She was questioning me about her living arrangements; her monthly check; the bus schedule and how she could locate the nearest bus stop. Imagine that...

With that in mind, I guess I should not have been surprised when Muddear began calling me at 3:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Calling me is not exactly the best way to describe it - more like screaming for help at the top of her lungs. I blindly run into her room to ask Muddear what was wrong. Can you guess what she says?

"Nikki, I am upset."
"Muddear, what is wrong?"
"I want to know where my check is.""Muddear, it is 3:00 o'clock in the morning. We are not talking about that now."
"You asked me what was wrong. Besides, there ain't no need to talk. Just tell me where my check is."
"Goodnight Muddear."
"I can't breathe."
"That's because you don't have your oxygen on. Please stop taking it off. Goodnight."

It is not my intention to be short with or mean to Muddear. The problem is whenever she starts having this conversation, she really wants to argue and I refuse to do so, especially in the middle of the night.

So I crawl back in the bed and go to sleep. At 7:00 a.m., Muddear starts screaming again. I am delirious, but I go back into Muddear's room. Can you guess what she says? The conversation is an exact replica of the one above - except it is now 7:00 a.m.

After crawling back in the bed again, I discover from Mike that Muddear had been up screaming between 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. as well. To wit, he had the exact same conversation with Muddear as above. I laugh and go back to sleep only to be awaken at 8:00 a.m. to Muddear screaming again. Would you be surprised if I told you that we had the exact same conversation as the one above - except it is now 8:00 a.m.?

I crawl back in the bed again, quite beyond delirium to go back to sleep. At 9:00 a.m., Muddear starts screaming again. Why do I keep subjecting myself to this insanity? I went back into her room, to have the same conversation over again - except it is now 9:00 a.m.

And yet, I crawl back in bed knowing that it is now time to get up to cook breakfast and dispense Muddear's medication, but I just couldn't do it. I desperately tried to go back to sleep. Within the hour, Muddear starts screaming again. I pretended not to hear her. However, my wonderful husband woke up to do all this for me. Oh how I love him.

I had just entered into a blissful hour of sleep when I heard Muddear calling me again. However, this time, it was not from the sanctity of her room. Apparently, Muddear was tired of waiting for me and had rolled herself right into my bedroom. The fates were truly against me!

No comments: