Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Friends

We leave for Barbados at the crack of dawn. I am 95% packed and ready to go with only a few things to do around the house. Muddear checked into Brookwood Retirement Community yesterday and we finalized all arrangements for the kids. This may be my last post until we return from vacation - I will not have Muddear around to inspire me!


However, today's inspiration has come from my friends. Everyone knows that I worry about Muddear when she has to go to a respite stay. Some stays have been good and some bad. (Monday, December 18, 2006 When Respite Stays Go Bad! )Typically, Muddear’s respite stays last no more than two or three days, unless of course we are on vacation. This stay will last 11 days. I cannot imagine how she must feel - uprooted from the place she calls home because no one will be there to care for her and not being able to care for herself. I have to stop, I may cry and this post was not supposed to be sad. As I said before, my inspiration has come from my friends.


I do not have very many and am thankful for the ones I do have. Pamela and Julia, I thank you in advance for checking in on Muddear while we are gone. Your kindness speaks volumes about your character – I am blessed to know you and your visit will bless Muddear. Even a short visit will boost her spirits, because Muddear loves visitors! She also loves anything sweet, fried chicken, and potato chips, so if you bring her a snack you will make her day a brighter one. I can see her now...becoming short of breath because she is excited. Please remember every detail for me. Let me know if she remembered you; did she talk to you; were you able to make her laugh and if so, about what. Help me experience the visit through your eyes.


One thing to remember, make sure you tell her you are friends with Mike and I. We do not want her thinking you are a dangerous stranger. As if either of you look dangerous, but with Muddear, anything is possible.


I am looking forward to getting much needed rest and relaxation. Talk to you next week...


*********************************************************************************

Do not forget to enter your choice for Flossie's them song. See Blog entry dated Monday, April 30, 2007, titled Theme Song for details or Blog entry dated Saturday, May 5, 2007, titled Theme Song - Week 1 for preliminary results.