Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Granny-sitter's Report:

My birthday weekend was a blast! However, an event is never complete without a story about Muddear. On Sunday, I called my granny-sitter to find out about Muddear's evening. Considering this was their first time together, I wanted to make sure Muddear had not been too difficult to deal with, as I am very aware of her wily ways!

Granny-sitter's Report:

Overall: Flossie was very enjoyable. She talked, laughed, and told stories until she went to bed.


Dinner: Flossie refused to eat her fish sticks and green beans so I made her a sandwich from the leftover Manwich in the refrigerator. She wrapped the Manwich sandwich up in a napkin and asked that I secretly dispose of it without you knowing about it.

Bedtime: Flossie went to sleep without a hitch. However, sometime in the middle of night after falling asleep on the futon, Flossie standing over me and yelling for Mike awakened me! Flossie had completely forgotten who I was and why I was there. In Flossie's words,"I am an old woman! I can't afford to take care of you. There are plenty of other rooms in this building and you need to find one to stay in!" I explained that you asked me to come and assist her, but that didn't work either. Flossie was upset and put me in my place. “Nikki don’t take care of me or my business. She can’t tell you to stay with me. I can't take care of you. You need to find your own place to live!”

After numerous attempts to convince Flossie that she knew me, I gave up. She was becoming agitated and began experiencing shortness of breath so I decided to sit in the family room to give her an opportunity to calm down. However, as soon as I left the bedroom, Flossie started yelling for assistance. At this point, I don't think she cared who I was she just needed my help. Thank goodness, Flossie calmed down and finally went back to sleep.