Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Old Lady Shoes

When Muddear lived on her own, I never really understood why all of her shoes were literally cut down the middle. Whenever I asked why she cut her shoes she would always say, "it makes them more comfortable."

Now that Muddear lives with me I understand her dilemma. She wears a women's 6.0 or 6.5 size shoe, depending on the style, which isn't abnormal. The problem is her feet swell during the day. Therefore, while the length is appropriate, the width is not. Due to the swelling, Muddear's feet become too wide to fit into the shoe. Can you imagine how difficult it has been to find her a pair of comfortable shoes? We purchased a pair from Sears, but even they are not optimal. Length and width are great, but they are so difficult to put on that I considered cutting them myself. So, I continued to search quite regularly Macy's, Dillard's, Famous Footwear, and Kohl's without success.

To complicate the matter, Muddear doesn't realize that she is no longer 25 years old, therefore taking her with me is out of the question. She wants to purchase shoes with high heels, in assorted colors, with bows and rhinestones. This means that I must go to the store, purchase multiple pairs of shoes, bring them home for her to try on, take back the shoes that don't fit, and start the process all over again. Why? Because Muddear doesn't like shoes with heavy soles, that appear to be out of season, that are open toe, or look like "old lady shoes!"


Recently, I had an epiphany and decided to try Easy Spirit. That was the best decision I ever made. I found Muddear so many pairs of shoes I had to restrain myself. Check out their selection at http://www.easyspirit.com/.

No comments: