Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Tuesday and Murphy's Law

Tuesday of this week I began to see the reality of Murphy's Law... Flossie's regular aide came to work as normal but had to leave unexpectedly because her husband broke his arm. No problem - she contacted the agency and they were immediately able to get someone to cover the remainder of the shift. A couple of hours later, I receive a call from the agency...the replacement aide had a family emergency. Her 13 year old son fell when riding his bike, had a large laceration in his are, and was being rushed to the hospital. However, I was told not to worry, another replacement had been located and was on her way. Unfortunately she could not stay for the last 30 minutes of the shift, so I needed to come home 30 minutes early than normal. Not a problem, right? Wrong! About 30 minutes later, I receive a panicked phone call from the agency...the second replacement had not shown up, the first replacement was gone (the hospital would not treat her son until she arrived), and my grandmother was alone! Now I am in a total panic. Depending on traffic it would take me 30 to 45 minutes to get home. The agency said they would keep calling the house and talking to Flossie until either the aide or I personally arrived.

I left work immediately driving 85 mph down the highway. And then I received the million dollar phone call! My stepson called...apparently unbeknownst to the aide he came straight home from school and had been there since the first replacement aide left. Oh and guess what? He was calling to tell me that the third and final aide of the day had arrived!

God is good!

No comments: