Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

When Respite Stays Go Bad...Part Deux

Several days ago, I received a phone call from the Nursing Home where Flossie spent her respite stay. They have completed their "investigation" and decided to fire the aide responsible for Flossie's daytime care. But, I ask myself, what about the supervisor/nurse the aide reports to? Or what about the shift supervisor that the nurses report to? What disciplinary actions were taken against them? What about the night shift aides and nurses that would have seen my grandmother wearing the same dirty gowns day after day?

Supposedly, they were going to conduct a training day for all associates regarding appropriate care or something of the sort.

Now about the inhaler...

I have been informed that they cannot substantiate what went wrong with the dispensation of medication. "Perhaps", I was told, "your grandmother brought the inhaler from home." Give me a break!!!! The inhaler was labeled with her name on it. It is not my usual and customary manner to label her inhaler's at home. Why would I? I do not run a nursing home so I don't have to differentiate whose medication belongs to whom!

I was asked to "describe" the inhaler. Why? If the inhaler is purple it came from their old pharmacy so could not have been given to Flossie during this most recent visit. But, if it is white or green then they can prove that it belongs to them.

This is all a load of crap! In lieu of protesting, I contacted my Regional Ombudsman Program today. I'll tell you about later...

No comments: