Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Hunger Strike

Who says to themselves, "You know, from this day forward, I think I am going to stop eating!"?

For the past two weeks, Flossie has decided that she is no longer going to eat. When served a meal, she has been known to outright refuse; stuff food in her mouth to pretend like she is eating, then spit it out; or hide the food and throw it away later.

The funniest thing occurred a few days ago. We had Sloppy Joe's for dinner, which she refused to eat, so the next day I gave Muddear leftovers for lunch. When I left her room Muddear had just begun to eat and when I returned her plate was completely clean. I praised her for eating the entire lunch and promised cookies for a snack. About 30 minutes later; thank goodness I had forgotten the cookies; Muddear called Mariah asking her for a favor. To make a long story short, Muddear had wrapped the sandwich in Kleenex and offered to pay Mariah to throw it away if she didn't tell me.

While we laughed at the above situation, it was also scary. If you were to combine together everything Muddear has eaten for the past two weeks, you would probably have less than one meal. As a result, she is extremely tired and weak; her hearing has declined; she has increased paranoia and confusion.

We have tried everything to get Muddear to eat, but to no avail. I don't know what to do.

No comments: