Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Confusion Has Returned

Over the weekend Muddear was very confused. More so on Sunday. While, I have yet to figure it out, I always wonder about the catalyst to these episodes. It seems like there has to be some trigger.

Nevertheless, Muddear was upset the entire day because "some lady had come over and stolen her clothes". She constantly asked if I knew the lady who stole her clothes. "Why did the lady steal my clothes?" She lamented about how it was such a tragedy that someone had stolen her clothes. Even though I explained over and over and over again that no one had stolen her clothes, Muddear had her mind set. About every 20 to 30 minutes she would wheel over to the closet, stand up and look for her clothes. Oddly, after seeing the closet full of clothing, Muddear would declare... "those aren't my clothes, they belonged to the lady who lived here before me."

In between the closet checks, Muddear would remove the bucket from her bedside commode, kick it down the hall, and attempt to empty it into the toilet. Why? She did not want the clean water to remain inside. To cut down on the odor, we always fill with water. But Muddear did not care. No matter how many times we asked, begged, and told her to stop - Muddear refused.  It became very frustrating. My biggest fear... Muddear spilling the clean and later urine filled water on the floor.

In addition, in between checking the closet and kicking the commode, Muddear decided she needed to leave to go down town. "Why do you need to go downtown", I asked. "I need to take care of my business and find out what happened to all the furniture in my apartment. You know somebody stole it."

This was an all day affair. Monday had to get better.

No comments: