Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Physical Therapy

It has been an overwhelming two weeks. Unfortunately, I have fallen behind in my posting. Shame... shame... shame!

Anyway, Muddear is doing significantly better since the fall. The splint was removed; however, we noticed that she was not using her right leg in a normal manner. Additionally, Muddear has been complaining intermittently about pain in her right foot/leg/ankle. At first I was really concerned, but I began to question the authenticity of the complaints. First, Muddear would complain of pain when she did not want to do something we wanted her to do - like cooperate at bath time. Or Muddear would complain if she wanted us to do something for her - like hand her the box of tissues instead of rolling her wheelchair over to the nightstand to grab a tissue for herself. My doubts increased significantly when Muddear began to state that the pain was occurring in the wrong leg.

Nevertheless, I contacted Muddear's primary care physician about the ongoing "pain". Physical therapy began on Monday, June 2, 2008 to strengthen the injured leg and encourage use. I'll keep you posted on Muddear's progress.

No comments: