Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mental Entanglements

It amazing at times the odd conclusions that Muddear develops in her mind. While I am sure Dementia is the driving factor, I often find myself trying to understand exactly how Muddear came to a particular conclusion or assumption.

A few days ago, while we were talking, Muddear expressed her continued sadness over Walter's death. Admittedly, I was shocked to hear that she believed that he had been murdered. I thought to myself... "where did that idea come from?" Especially since a few months ago, Muddear thought Walter drowned. Even at that time, I remember saying to myself, "where did that idea come from?" Immediately, I corrected the erroneous belief.

So there we sat, several days ago talking about Walter's death when Muddear says...

"It's a shame how Walter was murdered."
"Muddear, Walter was not murdered."
"Yes he was!"
"No, Muddear, Walter was not murdered."
"Yes he was! I heard it on the news."
"Muddear, Walter was NOT murdered. He got sick and called a friend to take him to the hospital. He died because he was sick."
"He was sick?"
"Yes. There was NO murder."
"Oh, well that's enough about that."

The conversation ended and life went on. Yet, I still wonder how Muddear becomes so incredibly confused about the events surrounding Walter's death. I guess I'll never know.

No comments: