Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Self-induced V_m_ting

Vomiting certainly is not the conversation of choice, but I must ask that you endure with me for a moment. I decided to call Muddear's supervising nurse to talk to her about the self-induced vomiting. (Thanks GloriousHats for the recommendation!) Unfortunately or not so unfortunately, I did not have the nurse's phone number with me at work, thus requiring a phone call to Sharon.

After briefly discussing the situation with Sharon, I learned that she too has discovered Muddear participating in self-induced vomiting. Sharon stated that it does not happen often, but she has definitely witnessed this behavior. Why don't people tell you these things when they occur? Okay, I refuse to rant and rave, Sharon is a wonderful aide. Now back to my story...

After advising Sharon to notify me anytime Muddear attempts self-induced vomiting, I called the nurse. Having been forced to leave a voicemail message, I am patiently awaiting a return phone call. In the meantime, I am off to visit http://dementiaguide.com per the advice of another commenting visitor.

As always, I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Jane Carlstrom said...

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with a nurse practitioner - a bad experience can definitely have an impact. Good NPs are lovely because USUALLY they are more activity, behavior change rather than medication oriented for these kind of problems --- but not always the case.

Hopefully the RN supervisor called back as was helpful.

And yes, frustrating but good to learn from Sharon of the occurrence of the SIV, hopefully it was good for her too and she will be more forthcoming in future with these episodes or other unusual occurrences.

Wishing you the best. Hugs, Jane