Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Amazing Feats

I am behind in my posting, but that does not mean that we have not had any great adventures! Last week, on Wednesday the 13th, I was in my bedroom putting away laundry.

Muddear came into my room to chat while I was doing so. Once finished I told Muddear that I was going downstairs to take care of some things, you know...completing dinner and then schoolwork and that she was more than welcome to join me. To wit, she was more than agreeable.

While in the kitchen, I finished dinner, Muddear ate her fill, and I began my schoolwork. All of this occurred within 35 minutes. Muddear decided that she had been downstairs long enough and wanted to return to her room. I was "smack dab" (as my grandfather would say) in the middle of writing my paper when Muddear made this decision. Unfortunately, Muddear did not care and refused to wait until I could come to a stopping point.

In her usual fashion, Muddear began fussing about how it was wrong of me to treat her this way and that I ought to be ashamed of myself...yada, yada, yada... It was at that point, where Muddear decided that she would go upstairs by herself, because she did not need my assistance.

"Tell Mike to come here and get my wheelchair, so I can sit down when I get to the top."
"Muddear, I will tell Little Mike to get your chair once you get to the top.” Knowing that Muddear is unable to climb the stairs without assistance.
"No, I want him to do it now, he might be sleep."
"Muddear, don't worry, when you get to the top, I'll bring your chair myself if I need to."

Mike and I are sitting in the kitchen chatting when notice that Muddear has wheeled herself to the bottom of the stairs and is no longer in her wheelchair. Quietly, I tiptoe over to the stairs and you would not believe what I saw...Muddear was on the third step! Unbelievable! I watched in amazement (while standing behind her) as Muddear walked up the stairs. Now...she goes up and down the stairs with a significant amount of assistance from us. Usually, my husband Mike carries her. Therefore, I am sure you can understand my shock.

Needless to say, Muddear's only quandary occurred when she arrived at the top of the stairs. She could not take the top step, because the banister stopped. At that point, I told Muddear, "Sometimes you have to be patient. If you do this again, we are not going to help - you cannot force us to stop what we are doing because you are being impatient. That is not fair - it had only been 45 minutes." (Now of course I would help, but I had to get my point across.)

Muddear simply replied..."Don't worry - I ain't doin this again! There won't be a next time!

No comments: