Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Day or Night

Muddear experienced significant confusion yesterday (Monday). I seriously question whether she was able to distinguish day from night.

When I arrived home from work Sharon explained that earlier in the day Muddear complained of being tired and wanted to take a nap, which she allowed. However after her nap, Muddear did not remember eating lunch - I think it is possible that upon waking up from the nap Muddear thought it was morning. Therefore, I was not surprised when Muddear began calling me, immediately after I entered the house, expressing the need to talk.

Per Muddear, Sharon did not feed her lunch. "Of course she did." I stated, only to have Muddear ask, "Well if she fed me lunch, why am I hungry?" To wit, I responded, "You are hungry because it is dinnertime. You ate lunch five (5) hours ago, if I were you I would be hungry too." Muddear seemed satisfied with that answer.

At 7:00 p.m. Muddear and I sat down to eat dinner. I am sure you can imagine my confusion when she asked, "Aren't you scared?"

"No, why would I be scared?"
"You know from the bad weather that's made it so dark outside."
"Muddear, there is no bad weather. It's dark outside because this is November and it's after 7:00 p.m."
"No, it's too early to be this dark."
"Don't worry, there is no bad weather. It is supposed to be this dark when it is almost winter."
"Okay."

Whether Muddear believed me or not, I will never know. I tend to think not. Especially when one hour later I overheard Muddear say to Mike..."Boy its dark outside." I chuckled as Mike once again explained that it is dark outside because it's nighttime.

All evening and well into the night, Muddear continued to comment about how "early" it is. Finally, around 11:00 p.m. I made her go to bed.

Hopefully, today Muddear will have it all sorted out.

No comments: