Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Monday, August 20, 2007

Scary Moments

Thursday night (last week) Muddear fell in her room while we were sleeping. I awoke to a distressed yell for help! Immediately, after running down the hall and into Muddear's bedroom, I assisted her getting back in the bed and asked what happened. According to Muddear, she had no idea how she fell and did not remember what she was doing. However, as soon as Muddear was in the bed, she asked for assitance to the bathroom. From this request, I can only assume that Muddear was trying to go to the bathroom when she fell.

When I first entered her room, my initial assessment of the situation was that Muddear had fallen out of bed. She was sitting on the floor with her back against the side of the with outstretched legs. When assisting Muddear to the bedside commode to relieve herself, I was comforted by the knowledge that she was able to walk without pain, meaning no broken bones. Muddear's only complaint was soreness on her right side and right hand, both I assume, she must have hit on the nightstand located next to the bed.

Since then Muddear has recuperated quite nicely. She still complains of soreness on her right side and right hand - if she does not experience relief by Thursday, I will contact Muddear's primary care physician. Hopefully, we have nothing serious to worry about. The only other side effect has been increased confusion.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: