Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Slips, Dips, and Falls

One of my biggest fears is Muddear falling. She is heavily dependent upon her wheelchair to ambulate throughout the house; however, she is able to transition from wheelchair to bed, toilet, etc. Whenever I am sitting in Muddear's room, chatting her up at the end of the day, I frequently remind her to put the breaks on her wheelchair before standing. I realize that if I am reminding her daily, who reminds her, when she is in her room alone. My fear magnifies.

Of course, Muddear's reaction is not what I would expect. When I remind her, she always starts to laugh! My alter ego immediately begins screaming, "THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!" In my mind, I want to shake some sense into her. However, the rational part of me speaks firmly but with care, explaining repeatedly the dangers of falling. I explain the potential to break a hip or other body part. I explain that the wheelchair is unable to support her weight if the breaks are not applied. I explain and explain and explain.

Muddear just looks at me with sweetest smile and says, "You are right, I do need to put my breaks on. I always do, I just forgot this time. I'm glad you were here to remind me this time, because I don't want to fall. That wouldn't be good."

She sounds convincing, but I know we will repeat this same conversation tomorrow. I considered posting signs on the walls that say, "Flossie Put On Your Breaks!"

Help!

No comments: