Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Humbling Experience

I was thinking about a recent conversation I had with a co-worker about Flossie's moodiness. The conversation forced me to think about things from Flossie's perspective. While the transition from home to respite care and back home again may have been difficult for Flossie and the catalyst for her current behavior, I must be honest, this is not the first time she has been mean, irate, and unruly. So when my co-worker asked me the following questions I was humbled and even a little embarrassed:

"How would you feel if suddenly you were no longer able to do any of the things you used to do?"
"Wouldn't you be angry if you could no longer make your own decisions?"
"What would you do if your body didn't function the way it used to?"

I knew immediately that while caregiving may be difficult, it was nothing compared to what my grandmother experiences on a daily basis. I must do better.

No comments: