Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Friday, April 16, 2010

Full Moon

I have never been one to keep up with the cycles of the moon. I have no idea from one day to the next whether it's going to be a full moon, half moon, or quarter moon. However, the last full moon was on Tuesday, March 30, 2010. With the full moon came increased confusion for Muddear. For the sake of clarity, I am not saying there is a connection between Dementia and the lunar cycle. But, what I am saying, is that was the last time Muddear exhibited "normal", and I say that lightly, behavior.

For almost two weeks Muddear has gone through cycles of non-eating and then eating again. Refusal to sleep for 24 hours straight to refusing to stay awake. Arguing and fussing non-stop to very short periods, and I mean short, periods of silence. Every other night Muddear barricaded the door with her wheelchair or tray table or anything else she could find. A few nights, Muddear completely trashed her room. The sheets were pulled off the bed, her clothes were pulled out of the drawers, and her furniture was rearranged. I'm still not sure how Muddear accomplished this feat! And then there were the nights she spent paranoid and full of fear.

There have been no changes in Muddear's medication. Typically, when this type of behavior occurs, I request the doctor or nurse to conduct a urine culture to determine if Muddear has a urinary tract or bladder infection. This time I did not, because in the past, the answer has always been No. I will wait another week.

The next full moon is supposed to occur on April 28, 2010. I can only hope that Muddear will return to "normal" before then.

3 comments:

Oyomesan said...

0Oh really...I'm helping care for my partner's 79 year old mum...and one of my blog readers mentioned full moon....I hadn't thought about this...hmmm....yes.....

njm said...

Oyomesan,

Thanks for commenting. Over time, I have noticed changes in my grandmother when there is a full moon. Ironically, her nurse confirmed that this is a common occurrence with her patients.

Anonymous said...

My father has Demetia and I am amazed at the similar circumstances as I read these comments. He has been just fine a few weeks and then BAM he turned into a Monster! Angry, confused, frustrated, repeating over and over again the bad things we've done to him in this prison he is in. (Which it is not at all) It is a lovely home for assisted living and he has loved it for weeks. Till the past weekend. Hopefully tomorrow is better. All we can do is love him and support him.