Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Alzheimer's and Dementia Research

As this nation prepares for the upcoming election of a new president we are bombarded with decisions. Which candidate is the best? Who supports the issues that are important to me? What changes do the candidates proposed to make during their term in office? Also, typical of an election year, many critical issues that impact this country are put to vote by the American people.

One issue that is very important to me is Senior Care and Alzheimer's Disease/Dementia Research. I know first hand the impact that agencies like The Council On Aging even Medicare/Medicaid have had on the care received by my grandmother. Without these and other agencies dedicated to Senior Care caring for my grandmother at home would be next to impossible.

To help you fully understand the impact these agencies have had on our lives, I want to share a little about the assistance we receive. First, if it were not for the Passport Program we would not be able to care for my grandmother. This program provides financial assistance so that we can afford to have a home health aide come to our home and assist Muddear while we are at work. The cost alone would be a burden, not to mention without the aide, it would be impossible for both my husband and I to work outside of the home. Additionally, Medicaid assists with the cost of Muddear's medications. Muddear takes almost 20 different medications to manage her asthma, allergies, high blood pressure, dementia, nerve damage, osteoporosis, etc. In addition, Passport assists with the set-up of respite stays so that my family can go on vacation or my husband and I can spend a weekend together alone.

As you prepare to make decisions during the upcoming elections, please keep in mind those issues that impact Senior Citizens. America is about to be faced with the largest population of Seniors in its history as the Baby Boomers enter into their 60's and beyond. Additionally, as lifespans continue to increase there are more Americans remaining in the Senior Citizen status than ever before. Just look at Muddear - she will turn 97 next month.

In the upcoming months, I will bring many more issues for consideration to the forefront and post here on Dementia Thoughts. I will also, provide information on ways you can help. Let's make a difference for our loved ones.

2 comments:

Tanya Watson said...

Medicaid has not been my friend.

njm said...

Dementia's Daughter,

I am sorry to hear that. We have had a very positive experience. Although I must admit when you have assistance it makes navigating through the system easier. We have a social worker through the Council on Aging Passport Program. My social worker is awesome and has helped us tremendously. Have you looked into the Council On Aging?