Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Resolution

After several phone calls we were able to resolve the urine specimen dilemma. The delinquent nurse picked up the specimen and dropped it off to the lab.

The preliminary review showed no signs of UTI or other infection. However, a culture was requested from the lab to verify. The lab results are expected by Friday. In the meantime, Dr. Tabrizi came today to perform Muddear's monthly physical.

The doctor's initial opinion ... Muddear's dementia is progressing. We will need to discuss some alternative treatments once the urine sample/culture results are received. In the meantime, we will have a 4 day 3 night reprieve. Muddear's respite stay at Brookwood Retirement Community began tonight. This last month has been overwhelming - I truly appreciate not being a caregiver this weekend. Both my family and I need some time together.

4 comments:

Jane Carlstrom said...

So glad Muddear was able to go to respite care. So glad you have a few days and nights knowing she is safe while that you can sleep, rest, relax, have fun -- get refreshed.

AND have a wonderful Birthday.

Hugs, Jane

Gi said...

I was reading your blog and I understand what you are going through I was there.I took care of my nother for six years.My mothers roaming around the house at night and apathy ended when her medication changed to ARICEPT[donepezil hydrochloride tablets}
As for her agitation ,I was given a report on MSG and decided to check it for myself.When I eliminated all foods containing MSG my mother would no longer become agitated or hyper.
I have a link to an article on one of my blogs if you would like to read about it.

http://caregiveralzheimers.blogspot.com

njm said...

Thanks Jane! Today was wonderful - I'll post about it later.

njm said...

Gi,

Thanks for visiting and commenting. Being a caregiver definitely has its ups and downs.

My grandmother has never taken ARICEPT - I'll have to talk to her doctor about that. Thanks for the link from your blog about MSG. I will check it out.