Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Who Are You?

Today was one of those days when Muddear openly admitted not knowing me. I am sure it happens more often than I would like, but today must have been a confusion filled day for her. While sitting in Muddear's room this evening, she looked me directly in the eye and said:

"Do you talk to Pat Porter often?"
"All the time, she is my mother."
"She is? Well what is your name?"
"Nikki."
"Are you Pat's first born Nikki or are you another Nikki?"
"I am her first born and only Nikki."
"Well isn't there another Nikki?"
"No. I am the only Nikki."
"Well, who is the other one I call Nikki?"
"Muddear that would be me."
"Oh, well when you get to be almost 100 years old, it's hard to remember everything."

I guess I shouldn't be alarmed. This is just the beginning of many more days to come. The affects of Dementia/Alzheimer's are unbelievable.

No comments: