Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Monday, August 27, 2007

Irony

This weekend was a little rough with Muddear. Overall she wasn't fussy or irate, just somewhat needy. Unfortunately, I needed some time to myself and found it difficult to achieve a suitable balance. Especially on Sunday - I cooked Muddear breakfast and lunch, dispensed medications, cleaned my house, folded and put away laundry, bathed and dressed Muddear as well as pressed and combed her hair. At this point I was exhausted, however, I still had to cook dinner. The good thing was it was only 2:30 and I was not going to begin dinner until 4:30 - this was a great opportunity to take a nap. I am not a cat-napper, so when I decide to take a nap I get in the bed and sleep for at least an hour and a half.

I usually try to have open conversations with Muddear, so I explained that I was tired and was going to lie down for awhile. After curling up on my bed, I quickly fell asleep only to be awakened by Muddear calling me.

"Muddear, what do you need?"
"Can you hand me my [oxygen] cord?"
"Yes, Muddear."

I wanted to scream, instead I handed Muddear the cord and quickly returned to my room. I dozed off only to be awakened again by Muddear calling me.

"Muddear, what do you need?"
"Can you fix my [oxygen] cord?"
"There is nothing wrong with it."
"Oh, I didn't know that. Go on back to sleep."

My sanity was slowly slipping, so I quietly walked away and attempted to go back to sleep. About 30 minutes into my "nap" Muddear was calling me again.

"Muddear, what? What do you need."
"I need you to move my housecoat out of my wheelchair."
After moving the housecoat, Muddear grabbed my hand, kissed it, and saying..."Thank you baby, now go back and get some rest."

I wanted to say, I would love to get some rest, but because you continue to call me every 20 to 30 minutes taking a nap has become impossible. Instead I went into the kitchen and started cooking dinner. But the story doesn't end here...

When it was time to eat, I fixed Muddear a plate of food and returned to her room. I admit I felt like an irritable toddler who missed her nap and I was probably giving off bad vibes. Therefore, when I handed Muddear her plate, I was surprised when she asked me if we could talk, because in her words, "I can tell something is not right with you."

"Muddear, I am just really tired, that's all."

At which point Muddear proceeded to LECTURE me on the importance of getting my rest. Oh, the irony of it all!

No comments: