Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Monday, June 25, 2007

Strawberry Milkshakes

About a month ago, we began giving Muddear Ensure as a dietary supplement. Muddear loves strawberry ice cream so I purchased the strawberries and cream Ensure, hoping she would find it enjoyable. To get Muddear to drink the Ensure, I resorted to playing a "Jedi Mind Trick." Muddear has the biggest sweet tooth, so I told her it was a strawberry milkshake. This way we both get what we want!

Saturday, Muddear stated that she wanted something sweet to eat after lunch. Of course, I saw this as an opportunity to give her an Ensure.

"Muddear, would you like a strawberry milkshake?"
"Oh yes, you know its been a long time since I've had one of those."

I chuckled, because Muddear drank an Ensure, codename strawberry milkshake, just a few days ago. Quickly, I ran to the kitchen, pulled out an Ensure and gave it to Muddear to enjoy. About 15 minutes later, I returned to her room to see if she was finished.

"Nikki, that was so good. You know its been about 10 years since I last had a milkshake."
"I am glad you enjoyed your shake. I will make sure I buy them more often."
"I would like another one. Can I have another one?"
"You want another one right now?"
"Yes, you know its been 40 years since I last had a milkshake."
"Has it been that long Muddear?"
"Oh yes. It was so good."

Yes, I did give Muddear a second Ensure. I would not want her to have to wait another 40 years to get a strawberry milkshake.

2 comments:

Shadowspun said...

If she ever gets fidgety about drinking them, you can use a blender and mix it with real ice cream and make it a real milkshake with healthy goodness. We've done that a few times with Grandma and her diabetic Boosts.

njm said...

Shadowspun,

What a great suggestion. How long have you been caring for your grandma?