Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Pale and Worried

Perhaps I worry about things that I should not worry about, but unfortunately, I cannot help it. As usual, when I arrived home after work, I stopped by Muddear's room to say "hey!" and chat for a moment before beginning part two of the work day. You know, work at work then work at home. I immediately noticed that Muddear appeared very pale, almost ashen. I asked her if she was feeling okay, to which Muddear responded "yes." At that point, I was at a loss...and a little worried. I wanted to do something to "fix" the situation, but what? Therefore, I gave Muddear an Ensure. Of course, Mike asked me, "Why are you giving your grandmother an Ensure?" To which I responded, "I don't know, it just seems like the right thing to do. Maybe she is experiencing some vitamin or calorie deficiency."

I know you think I am nuts, it just made feel better to be able to do something. I will research WebMD today for potential causes. My last resort will be to contact the doctor if Muddear does not improve. I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Nikki,

I’m sorry that Flossie is not doing well today, and I hope that giving her an Ensure helped a bit.

While I hope you found what you were looking for on WebMD, I wanted to let you know that the National Family Caregiver Association has joined the Revolution Health Fair, (http://www.revolutionhealth.com/healthfair) an online event launched in partnership with 10 national nonprofit organizations who each host a virtual “booth.” Until the end of June, for every visitor to a partner organization’s booth Revolution Health will make a donation to that partner for a total of up to $10,000.

Also, Revolution Health has a lot of good information for caregivers, so it might be really beneficial to check it out.

If you have any questions, please contact me at greg@echoditto.com.

- Greg Cooper, on behalf on Revolution Health

ABOUT REVOLUTION HEALTH:
Revolution Health (http://www.revolutionhealth.com) is the new health resource website founded by Steve Case, partly because of the difficulties he and his family faced during his brother’s battle with brain cancer. He wants to make it a bit easier for those who follow by providing tools to support both patient and family. I’m working with Revolution to support the work of bloggers who follow health issues. One way we’re doing that is by conducting these topical briefings, just for the blogger universe. Revolution wants to highlight its ability to aggregate and share critical information on health issues by providing new information and contact with health leaders in relevant disease communities.

One great asset of the site is its population of experts, including those on nutrition, diet and weight loss, drawn from major academic institutions across the country, including Columbia, Harvard, Cleveland Clinic, the University of California at San Francisco, the University of Southern California, Johns Hopkins, Memorial Sloan Kettering, MD Anderson, and more

njm said...

Thanks Greg for your concern. Muddear still seems to be a little pale so I have continued to increase her caloric intake by giving her Ensure. I will check out Revolution Health and share the knowledge.