Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Carpet Emergency...Call 911

I am reaching out for advice...

Muddear drops and spills things all of the time. Can this be eliminated? Of course not, but I really need to figure out a way to reduce the number of times this occurs. Why?

1. To maintain a clean and safe environment for Muddear.
2. To save my carpet.
3. To retain my sanity.

During every meal, Muddear drops food on the floor. She not only spills, but also knocks over drinks at least once a week-, which is why I usually try to stick with water or clear liquids. At least three or four times a day, I pick up her garbage can and all of the garbage that has spilled out. Moreover, as if that were not enough, Muddear spits a lot, and usually misses the garbage can.

I know you are asking..."why does she spit so much?" For example, when eating grapes Muddear may not like the skin, so she sucks out the middle and spits out the skin. Muddear loves ice cream. We often have cookies and cream, strawberries and cream, at times chocolate chip or any ice cream that contains "bits" of something else. There have been times when the "bits" freak Muddear out. She does not know what it is and begins to spit them out. Alternatively, she decides that she wants to eat the "bits" later so she eats the ice cream first and spits the "bits" onto a napkin to save for later. Do not ask me why, but it usually occurs when eating ice cream with chocolate pieces in it. (I guess you never lose your love for chocolate.) To make a long story short, she either misses the napkin that contains all the other bits of chocolate or accidentally drops the napkin, spilling the "bits" on the floor.

Last night, and I still have not figured out how, Muddear broke a glass on the carpet! I do not mean broken in one or two pieces, I mean SHATTERED! I had to move all of the furniture to vacuum, change the bed linens, and replace Muddear's nightclothes. It does not make sense, I can only assume that she knocked over the glass and accidentally rolled her wheelchair on top of it. Which I might add, she adamantly denies!

As you can imagine, the carpet in Muddear's room is atrocious! Within minutes of the carpet being cleaned professionally or otherwise, there are new stains. Honestly, I am not complaining, just explaining the magnitude of the problem in hopes of obtaining some real advice.

I am at a loss and really do not know what to do. Please help!

2 comments:

Elle said...

It sounds like you love your carpet - but you may want to consider having at least her room redone in Pergo or the equivalent - take care - ELLE

njm said...

I think I am having a mental meltdown. What is pergo?