Tips For Caregiver's

People with Alzheimer's disease frequently become more disoriented after dark or when waking. Leaving a night-light on in the bedroom may be helpful.

~WebMd

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Sneezy, Sleepy, Dopey, Grumpy...

I have been fighting a cold for the last week and a half. And to think when traveling for business I actually thought I was going to get some rest! Instead, I was up at night with a sore throat. I then thought, "when I get home, I'll get some sleep." Hah! that was a joke.

My cold symptoms both increased and progressively became worse. But I remained hopeful. I then picked Muddear up from the nursing home.
At that point, things pretty much went to hell in a hand basket. While I love Muddear with all my heart, after two days back home, I contemplated scheduling another respite stay so that I could rest. (not seriously) Whenever Muddear returns from a respite stay, she goes through a minor readjustment period. However, my past respite experiences could not prepare me for this.

Muddear and I arrived home Friday night at 8:00 p.m. She was tired and decided to go to bed a little earlier than normal. I was ecstatic, because I didn't feel well. And then it began... Starting at about 2:50 a.m. Saturday morning through Monday morning, Muddear called either me or Mike every 15 minutes. I thought I was going to lose my mind.

Even though we have resumed our normal daily schedule, Muddear is not quite right. Once again, she gets up in the middle of the night, every night calling me for one thing or another. Instead of one, I think I have turned into four of Snow Whites' Seven Dwarfs. Sneezy...Sleepy...Dopey...and Grumpy!

For a little history on the characters from Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarf's, see the link below: http://disney.go.com/vault/archives/characters/sevendwarfs/sevendwarfs.html
Which Dwarf are you?

No comments: